My husband got his haircut a couple of days ago. Normals would immediately think, "Yawn...." Not so in TI world. It just so happened that I was upstairs when he got home. I heard the door and the dogs. I scuttled down the stairs to greet him. Before I reached the bottom of the steps I was engulfed in cloying fragrance that would drop an elephant. He was already in the laundry sink, washing his hair. I rounded the corner and popped on the exhaust fan. "You get a hair cut?" I enquired. I was met with an apologetic look, cast out under his armpit, as he was busily lathering and rinsing. He'd already contained the contaminated clothing. I turned on every other exhaust fan in the house.
"My regular guy was out. The other Jim, who does shaves, cut it this time. I told him it had to be fragrance free, so he didn't use anything on my hair but water." Ron, groaned out. He could smell it himself.
"Did he wash his hands before doing you?" I asked, eyes streaming from the vapors, even where I was standing by the air purifier 20 ft away.
"He rinsed his hands in water." my husband said, simply. I lit candles to burn off the fumes and Ron headed for the bathroom to wash his hair in the shower, several more times. (Further discussion revealed that Ron believed it was the aftershave that lingered on the barber's hands.) I could feel my lymphs swelling and burning. I headed for the shower and sauna. It was only an hour or two and boils began to break out. As I devolved, Ron headed for the shower again. I was still tracking fumes off him. By bed time, I went through the shower again. Even after 4-5 shampoos Ron's hair still reeked enough to burn me. He had to sleep in another bed, in a different part of the house.
People just don't realize how pervasive, their fragrance really is.
I got a pretty good nights sleep. The headache that I went to bed with was mild by comparison to some I'd had. I woke up with the same headache. Not too bad, considering. Ron washed his hair thoroughly again that morning. I checked it. Still reeked.
By this time the lymphs in my jaw, neck and throat were so swollen most of my teeth hurt and I couldn't chew. My pituitary gland began to hurt and it escalated through out the day. Now I know your thinking, Ron's not there. So how can she be getting worse? Remember symptoms peak within 20-48 hrs. Not only that, the VOCs that came in on Ron, didn't all stay on him. So the surfaces in the house are now contaminated with VOCs as well. That means lots of airing out and cleaning of surfaces, for me, in addition to revolving detox procedures. shower sauna clean clothes, shower sauna clean clothes... and all those meds.
He washed it again, when he got home and again before bed that night. Still reeked. He slept in the other bed again. He kissed me goodbye this morning when he left for fishing. The level is down to the point where I can't smell it unless I stick my nose in his hair. Unfortunately that still out-gasses. From trial and error, we know that even that level will cause me to wake up with cranium cracking toxic encephalopathy in the middle of the night.
People don't realize how toxic there fragranced products are.
It is incredibly horrifiying for me to read lists of ingrediants on personal care products. While fragrances are 'trade secredts' so they don't have to list what's in them. There are sufficient number of other toxic products on the label to do considerable, covert damage to the user and drop a TI like a hot stone. For instance, here are the ingrediants from a well known lotion for "sensitive skin." I've colored every petroleum product/by-product red... These are all on the Generally Recognized As Safe list, GRAS, that is put out by the FDA, a munufacturer's interest based government agency.
water, butylene glycol, mineral oil, petrolatum, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol dicaprylate/dicaparate, PEG -40 Sterate, C11-13 isoparaffin, glyceryl sterarate, Tri PPG -3 Myristyl Ether citrate, cetearyl alcohol, dimethicone, methylparaben polysorbate 60, DMD hydantoin, carbomer, ethylparaben, propylparaben, disodium EDTA, sodium hydroxide, xanthan gum, butylparaben, titanium dioxide.
Cyclopentasiloxane, known carcinogens.
carbomer, this is a "poly acrylic that contains benzene!
Titanium Dioxide, is known to be the second leading cause of autism spectrum disorder.
And this company had the balls to label this product as "For sensitive skin..."
July '10 a bill before the legislature to revise the Toxic Substance Control Act, was defeated. They are already working on resubmitting. Contact your legislatures to support the revision of the Toxic Substance Control Act! It hasn't been revised for something like 60 years...