Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Hamster Ball

Last Tuesday we bought my RV. Yeah, too late to attend the wedding, but still a valuable piece of Durable Medical Equipment for TIs.

For those of you just joining us, it's the ability to jump in and broom away when someone sprays. It also represents the freedom to go somewhere in relative safety. I don't have to limit my trips to bladder range (public toilettes are fragranced or toxic, in addition to possible encounters with Fragranced Members of the Public (FMPs). I also won't have to pre-cook all my food, or arrange huge environmental accommodations. I can take my safe zone with me. :-)

Of course, it's not quiet ready to go yet. The couple I got it from we're fragrance free, but the original owners weren't, and all kinds of stink is coming up as I deep clean. Remember, people only clean to the level of their ability to perceive.

Once I get a lot more of the fragrance abolished, I'll begin the remodel. Nothing is ever 'plug & play' for us. The first thing that has to go is the carpet. I want hardwood, but there are weight considerations. I may go with cork, instead. I will rip out the rear queen bed and replace it with a twin over the storage bay. I asked the couple I bought it from to keep the matteress. (Nasty synthetic thing.) :-p I looked at organic wool mattresses and decided on the futon type. They ran $1200 for a twin. I'll be sewing my own. Good thing I have all that wool! I'll be adding a washer/dryer - its not like I could access a laundromat. Solar panels, battery bank & inverter are must haves, as are water filters, air filters and replacing the gas oven with electric.

I don't know the first thing about rewiring for solar or the oven. Something else to learn how to do... TIs have to learn how to do everything for themselves. I've been studying all week just to know the little bit I now know.

And last but not least, reupholstering with all natural fibers. That will be a big job! Anyway, here a couple of pics for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment