Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Dental Visit #3, Amalgams+

This last visit, on July 31st, included removing and replacing 2 mercury amalgams and filling the last major cavity on the lower left. I have a couple more fairly small cavities at the edges of some amalgams on the other side. This final massive cavity was so large and deep that Dr. Stevens had to cut away a lot of gum tissue. He reported to me that the trauma and hemmorraghing was so bad that he placed only the bonding agent as a temporary, and is holding off on finishing in order to give the gums a chance to heal. It is the tooth that has been causing me so much pain from the beginning. In each of these massive cavities the majority of the decay was below the gum line. In my discussion with Dr. Stevens I had a niggling thought and later went looking for research to substantiate it. Of course they aren't going to ask the question I had, "Does the combination of mercury and glyphosate contribute to the severity  of my cavities?" So I went looking for research that would indicate that it would. I found a paper that actually looked at glyphosate's action on glutathione, one that was focusing on glyphosate/mercury increased toxicity and several more papers that used mercury anode probes to collect glyphosate, to test ponds and streams for environmental contamination by glyphosate. In other words mercury attracts and bonds with the glyphosate that is present. This would indicate that my mercury amalgams collected more glyphosate than I would have been exposed to without them and held it in my mouth undoubtably releasing both together, at increased toxicity, over time as my amalgams decayed and off gassed. A steady dose of poison.  That poison would suffuse the tissues of my mouth and my throat. The question remains to be answered as to if/how fast those tissues will heal once all the amalgams are removed. Will my achalasia resolve? I hope so. 

The first two amalgams that were removed were actually easier than having the cavities done. No cutting of gum tissue. No drilling of enamel. There was some grinding and burnishing off of amalgam, and preparing the surface. But they were done very rapidly and painlessly. The preparation actually took the most time. Because of my condition Dr. Stevens used a nitrile dam. Apparently they are different to work with. This may have been his first one. They have lots of clamps and bars. It seemed like more than any dams I had when having had the fillings put in to begin with. There was also a nose oxygen mask, a particulate mask over that, safety glasses for me, an in mouth fume vacuum, an external vacuum hood that removed any vapors in the area surronding my head, and irrigation and suction tubes that washed away any mercury bits that were created by the removal process. Dr. Stevens wore a dual cartridge VOC full face mask.  I realized, once I was under all that equipment, that I was a bit claustrophobic. I had to admonish myself not to panic and rip it all out of there because I'd just have to start over. Several times I felt as though I was suffocating. My tongue was so stiff and swollen from the anesthesia that I couldn't swallow. Fluids were building up. I decided that if the suckers didn't syphon it out I was just going to let the spit/blood/whatever run out. I didn't want to risk swallowing a piece of amalgam, or asphyxiating. I focused on breathing out through my nose. I told myself if air could go out, it could get in the same way. Thats how I convinced myself not to panic. It worked. Thank God. I felt very small and lost in there under all that stuff, like nobody would hear me if I called out. I found that I had difficulty making myself verbally respond to questions. I've had that before. I get "mute" in stressful situations. It is aparently an Asperger's trait. Something else I realized I had in the last couple of weeks. 

He did the amalgams first, then the cavity. It was a 2 hr session. I was pretty wiped out by the time all the gear was removed and I was allowed to sit up. I felt run over by a truck. I was dizzy and sick with a massive headache. I had to take a several minutes before I could stand. I needed Rosie to help me to the bathroom. I discovered there that my urine was very dark; my kidneys were in distress. Must be the VOCs absorbed through my mucus membranes. I started salt water swishing as soon as I got in the car, along with detox tea. I felt very good by the time 8 hrs had passed, with only intermittant encephalopathy and regurge. 

I'm having more difficulty today (and yesterday) as the epinephrine has resolved from my system, but I definitely feel stronger now that that cavity is sealed and 1/4 of my amalgams have been removed. I'm looking forward to the increase in health that I expect to have following my next apt.

Oh yeah, Dr. Stevens said I was such a wonderful patient that they let me have a prize from the toy cupboard. LOL 2 in fact. I took a ball for Rosie. She's been such a good girl, waiting there so quietly. I took a kaliedescope that Joey and I can play with together. That part was just playful, silly and fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it. GFETE Now I'm trying to think up a prize that I can make for Dr. Stevens for being such a wonderful dentist. Any ideas?

1 comment: