Friday, June 23, 2017

Waiting, Waiting...

Thursday, May 25, 2015

6:00 a.m.
Other than getting up to run the heat we passed a good night. I did end up with a bit of chest congestion from signing/handling the documents. 

Our morning is peaceful and lovely. You know our routine. We're enjoying it in companionable silence. I did try adding some minced, sautéd dandelion leaves to Rosie's eggs yesterday and today. She likes 'em! This morning I included a scoop of puree'd pumpkin. My coffee's going in good. I'll eat later. I'm also thinking that this might be the day to calk the rear lights and window. I can't remember if I'd said there had been more leaking. I think it had to do with freezing and thawing and freezing again. The surfaces contract in the cold and moisture gets in. Then it freezes and the ice expands, allowing more moisture to get in. Its been dry (other than dew) here and the window area seems pretty dried out again. There are hazy clouds. I'm thinking I should do it today when it warms up enough and if it doesn't rain.

7:42 p.m. 
The clouds built up, it rained and it stayed cold. I did mending instead. I worked at it all day. My coveralls were in pretty bad shape. I can't buy new (bt cotton, processing chemicals), so I'm patching all the worn spots and repairing holes. Most of the wear was from so much washing. 

Ryan called. It was his final commute home from his job in Washington. He's so glad to be done with that! They're loading the moving van this weekend and moving to Texas. His house in Texas is 3 miles from work. He'll even be able to go home for lunch. They're very excited. We're happy for them, but still sad. 


Friday, May 26, 2017

7:13 a.m.
The sun starts peaking through the tops of the trees at 7:00 a.m. in this location. Daylight begins at 4:00 a.m. Remember, I parked in the pine woods. Everywhere the sun hasn't hit yet in the meadow still has frost. Its a little slow in warming up in here this morning. If we can make the deal with the sellers I'm moving my RV to a location with early morning sun, and afternoon shade. On sunny days this spot gets too hot, as the shade is thin. 

9:40 a.m.
We're back from our ramble. Today I wandered on two "trails" I hadn't tried yet. One was a game trail heading southward from the largest pond. The one with the cattails. It ended up intersecting the old skid road that led to "Gooseberry Glade" at the front of the property. The second was a very old, over grown skid trail off of Violet Way that looked like it went up the west side of Huckleberry Hill, but t'wards the front face. It dead ended leading "nowhere." It was actually into a nice thicket, but not anywhere specific at present. And not where I thought it was going. Being out on the trails, soaking up the sun and all the good smells is so healing! I'm loving it.

As beautiful as it is outside, I'm still staying in when it could be a time that someone might show up. I won't have the right to lock everybody out until (and if we get to) closing. Until then, I'm not really safe outside after 9:30 a.m.. 

11:00 a.m.
I found another tick. It was crawling up the inside of my heavy flannel jacket, which I had laid aside when I came back in. Both times I've found one have been after visiting the Huckleberry Hill area. Ugh my skin is crawling! 


Saturday, May 27, 2017

8:30 a.m.
I slept pretty good last night despite an exposure. I'd tried to retrieve my yarn washing bucket out of the rear basement bin yesterday evening. I got hit with fumes from the generator again. Amazingly my reactions were even milder than the last one! I'm thrilled with the progress my body's making now that I'm finally away from constant toxic bombardment. Ron and I are still planning on replacing the gas generator with a liquid propane one. Its less toxic. We are also planning on placing a full size, household propane generator away from my RV, house, barn etc, and burying cable to those locations, so that I can have power outside, without toxins. Thats in addition to a solar system.

   5:31 p.m.
Ron, my daughter and her family arrived at noon. We walked out to one of the ponds and ran the dogs. My daughter's beagle pup Daisy doesn't get to run at home much either, or play with other dogs, so she and Rosie had a great time. My daughter uses only safe for me products on her. Eventually they ended up in the pond. The boys (big and little) found tadpoles and newts in the shallows. We had a picnic lunch of fried chicken and b-b-q hotdogs. There were plenty of chips, crackers and a salad. I didn't eat, but I got to play with the boys and visit. Toby kept marching off into the woods. Everytime an adult would reroute him back to the group, he'd pitch a tantrum as soon as he caught sight of us and figured out what the adult had done. Treachery! Lol. Afterward we walked part way down Violet Way. It was pretty far for 18 mo. old Toby who insisted on walking by himself. We turned around and came back when it became apparent that it was nap time. He was looking pretty glassy eyed and was getting fussy. Then we loaded up everything, including fussy kids, and I followed them back into town so Ron could fill my tanks and dump the waste water. I headed back up here with Rosie, and they headed home over the pass. It was lovely to see them, and not have to be on constant guard against toxins, or suffer with being hurt. Even at Anson-Wright in the off season I was still getting exposures when I went out. It took me awhile to set back up, I included a tick check on both Rosie and myself. Didn't find any. 

6:38 p.m.
I called and checked that my family had got home alright. They were just getting into town. Ron handed the phone to Joey while he ran in and picked up sub sandwiches for supper. Rosie cozied up to the phone to get in on the conversation, too. Joey was ready to come back. 🙂 They put the boys in the tub when they got home, no ticks there either. Then it was time to say goodnight. The evening seemed awfully quiet without them. I went out and started a bucket of laundry. Then Rosie and I settled in for the long quiet evening. 


Sunday, May 28, 2017

1:39 p.m.
It was warm enough last night that I didn't have to run the generator until 4:00 a.m.. I stayed in bed after that, rather than just get up. Rosie and I seemed to have a dawdley morning. I did more bucket laundry. Since I can't use my Panda, I can't get them wrung out very well at all. They're taking longer to dry. I did go out and collect some more dandelion leaves for Rosie's breakfast. We almost stepped on a snake. He was a real long water snake. About 2.5-3 foot. Gave me a start until I realized it was just a yellow racer. We did go on our walk down Violet Way. It always smells so nice, like raspberry tarts.

Its a very quiet morning. I'm doing more mending. I restitched a belt loop and altered a pair of yoga pants. They needed taking in. I talked to my Dad. His demential is a lot worse. Its hard to hear him struggling with cognitive issues. He always prided himself on his mental abilities. Its sad. 

5:35 p.m.
I worked on laundry all day. I've finished the clothes, just waiting for them to dry. I'm washing/soaking the green yarns for my daughter's new baby's sweaters. I finally skeined the 9 balls of red. Ugh. Back hurts. I had to improvise an outdoor "table" to place the skein winder on. Remember, its because the new yarn is stinky, and I have to do it outside. I used an empty 5 gal water jug. So I had to remain bent over to spin the skeiner. 

I spoke with Ron a couple of times. Ryan and his family didn't get out of town until 4:00 p.m.. They're way behind schedule. I hope it was nothing serious. I know they had planned on being at my daughters for dinner at 6:00 p.m.. Surf and turf was the planned menu. Ron was bringing the fish. Ron said he, our daughter and son-in-law decided to go ahead and b-b-q without our son and his family. 


Monday, May 29, 2017
Memorial Day

6:26 a.m.
Good morning! I slept in my bed last night. I only got up once, at 12:30 a.m., or there abouts, to run the heat. It was lovely! O.k. The freezing trek down the hall to the generator switch wasn't lovely, but the rest was. We did get up at 5:30 a.m. to run the heat again. I'm enjoying my coffee. Today's the day that is the seller's deadline for considering our offer. 😐 Neither Ron or I expect them to accept our offer, simply because of the listing agent's previous behaviors. We are hoping for a decent counter offer. However, the property has been on the market for a long time with no other offers. The other beneficiaries are antsy... Waiting is hard. We have discussed our contingency plan if they just blow us off. We're in agreement. No begging, no making a new, higher offer, we just move on to the next property. 

Ryan called me last night. I think it was to help keep him awake. They were pretty exhausted. Michele had the kids with her. He was by himself. Its too quiet for someone that tired. They're driving two trucks with u-haul trailers.  Apparently they've slept (or not slept) the last two nights on the floor. His wife has been down with a virus this last week, and she did the packing! Ryan did most of the loading and the yard maintenance, including pressure washing since he got home Thursday. They met with a realtor team yesterday morning, as well, to sell their current house. He talked to me until he was within 30 minutes from my daughter's. I think it was 9:00 p.m., so they made good time. 

I haven't decided what to do with myself yet today. I like to have a project because it makes the time fly. I do want to add a leveling block under the right front tire. Settling. I noticed it yesterday but didn't want to run the engine with the laundry out. That isn't going to take much time. I guess I could clean... 

9:26 a.m.
We're back from our walk and playing with sticks. It was warmer this morning than it has been. I dressed lighter. It felt weird not putting on a long sleeved over-shirt. Its something I adopted to protect myself from toxins back in '04-'05. I still wore a long sleeved shirt. If we do get this property, I could wear short sleeves outside again. Wow! The layers of normal behavior that I've been forced to give up are staggering. I've been living in defense mode for so long I haven't even thought about a lot of this stuff! 

I took care of the leveling issue. The passenger side lift block was sunk so far into the ground I had to pry it out with a long sharp stick. 

11:00 a.m.
Ron called. He's on his way home from the family breakfast at our daughter's. Ryan and his family are staying over another night and leaving in the morning. They decided it would be smart to get well rested. 👍

5:27 p.m
Rosie and I went for a short walk just before 5:00 p.m.. On our way back I thought I heard someone at the gate, and a car door shut. We high tailed it back to the RV. It was too hot in there, hence the walk, so we shut it down and ran the a/c. Haven't heard anything from the realtors yet...


Tuesday, May 30, 2017

6:24 a.m
I slept all night. It didn't get cold enough for me to need to get up and run the heat. Nice! It is another beautiful sunrise here on the mountain. Joey calls it "Grandma Mountain."

I didn't hear from Roger yesterday, probably this morning. 

2:45 p.m.
I heard from Roger around 9:30 a.m.. He hadn't heard anything from the sellers or their realtor yet. He figured they couldn't get hold of all the multiple owners over the holiday weekend. He'd let me know when he heard anything. I asked him, if they were going to need more time, if I could get an extension?

This morning the window was dry, again. I determined to calk it as soon as the sun was off of it and it cooled, again. Wouldn't you know it, it started clouding up at 1:00 p.m., again. I didn't want to let it go through another wet cycle. I went out and started the job as soon as the back window was the least bit cooler. Interestingly enough, there was a plane hanging above us when I first started out. I turned around and went back inside. It was at 500'. I wonder what thats about? After it left I swept the back window off, then washed it. I discovered that while the existing calking looked good, it was all chalky. No wonder it was leaking. The next discovery was that the tube of calk in the gun had turned weird. It was greyish, and a little translucent. It looked exactly like bull snot. It was also very stiff. It had spent most of the winter in the rear basement bin. I wondered if that was the cause? I had another tube, but there was no guarantee it was any better. It was in the same place all winter. I decided to work with the open tube, even though it was not going to go on nicely. With the impending rain, I needed something on there. It definitely looks like we need to take the window completely out, scrape it down and re-glue and seal it. So this calk won't be permanent. Hopefully it will buy me a little time, and keep the rain out. I wrestled it out of the tube. Literally. It was so thick it took both hands squeezing the trigger for all I was worth to get an inch to come out. Then I smeared it on there as best as I could. Alcohol. A nitrile glove covered finger dipped in alcohol does wonders. Now I'm hoping I get at least an hour before the rain starts so it'll set up. They sky is pretty dark. Ron said they were expecting an evening thunderstorm. Looks like ours will be in the afternoon. Note: I got several whiffs of gas fumes from the generator. The wind was switchy, so I couldn't avoid it.

6:40 p.m.
The first storm passed over us. The second is here. The rain begins. More wind than rain. No thunder.

In the meantime, trespassers were in the forest. I could hear their 4 wheeler idling on the road, and hear them talking in the woods on the other side of the drive. I opened my door, then slammed it shut. They left. We waited an hour, then went to check for fence/gate damage. Looked o.k. They probably climbed through the fence, looking for mushrooms. I could still smell the guys cologne and toothpaste, peuw!!! Near where the 4 wheeler was idling I could smell pipe tobacco.

I heard from Roger before the trespassers showed up. The listing agent says that they're getting their response together. Roger says it sounds very positive. The listing agent was very friendly. Not Rogers typical experience with him, according to Roger. Roger let him know that I had 3 other properties lined up to look at if this one fell through, and I needed to make arrangements to camp on those. This was in context of why we wanted to know what was happening, since I had to leave Thursday. The listing agent suggested that I not worry about that, and that we just write an extension. Good work Roger!  

7:43 p.m.
Its a quiet evening so far. The sky still looks threatening. It didn't rain very hard earlier. Its nice and cool out. I cleaned Rosie's ears so she's avoiding me at present. 

The reason I cleaned them is because she was shaking her head real hard, and leaving her usual spot like it was inhabited by a monster. I kept telling her to get out of my spot, and she would give me the "betrayer!" look. Like I was throwing her to the monster. I figured there could be a bug in there, like a tick... I got the flashlight and the forceps. All I found was detox junk. There was a lot of it. I hadn't done them in awhile because her skin was so fragile it would bleed if it was disturbed. Cleaning her ears made them bleed, which defeated the purpose. So I carefully cleaned each one and had her shake her head real good between them. Bits of black ear gunk flew everywhere. I cleaned up everything I could find. Later as I sat at the table I felt something crawl across my bare back and shoulder. I was wearing an off the shoulder blouse. I blindly swiped at the crawler to knock it off, and jumped up to look for it in the mirror, incase it was still on me. A gigantic black carpenter ant was marching across the seat where I had been. I'm thinking this guy must have been what had taken a wrong turn into Rosie's ear. Unfortunately for him, the generator was running. He ended up in the toilet, where he was "lost at sea."


Wednesday, May 31, 2017

4:40 a.m.
Detoxing from the gas fume exposures. The great news is the only symptoms I've had were a brief stitch in my right side, an hour later, and this detox heat/sweat thing coupled with mild anxiety. Rather than lay there and continue to squirrel, I got up. Rosie chose to stay in bed. 

Its a grey rainy morning. Not hard rain, just light, intermittent showers. No indications, at this point, that the back window is leaking. I'll check again later as the rain started after I woke up. 

I noticed my right hand is sore from the calking gun struggles. 
Roger did come by in the afternoon with an extension to the liability waiver for me to sign. I've got 2 more weeks to stay here while we work on a deal. 


Thursday, June 1, 2017

11:39 a.m.
It rained all night. Not hard, but steady. I was up hacking out cooties but that could have been from the gasoline exposure.  I spent the morning working on knitting. We mostly stayed in. When I needed a break I dug out some supplies and fixed a strip of velcro hook tape that was coming off the wall above the rear window. Its for the window blanket. I also re-sealed the edges of the carbon monoxide detector. Some soot was present on the wall, indicating it was leaking thru.

I had the window open while I was working on my knitting and smelled pipe tobacco. I jumped up and went outside. I sniffed the air. It was coming from the woods across the driveway. I stared real hard in that direction and said real loud, 

"I smell you! I'm going in and get my gun and then I'm going to hunt you down!" I went back inside and leisurely put on my hiking clothes. I wanted to give him time to skedaddle. I didn't really want to catch him, just encourage him not to come here anymore. Since I'm just a guest here I can't complain about "Trespassing." We went out to track him down. I didn't find anybody, I could certainly smell him. I think he's using the tobacco as mosquito repellent. I need those guard dogs. Sigh. Fence first, then dogs. 

Since we were going out, I took my work gloves along and we eventually came to the spot across from that downed tree that both sides hang in the road. Rosie and I climbed through the fence and tossed both pieces back into the bushes on their respective sides. That will give me more options on how I get my RV through that deeply rutted area. As it was, we had been heeling over pretty badly when we went through.  Since it had been raining the mud was slick on the tops of the ruts again. I slipped and slid going across. This time I managed to stay out of the puddle. I'd worn my town shoes as opposed to my lace up ropers. The same ones I was wearing the last time I encountered this puddle. I've been trying to dry my boots out so I can treat them.

When we got back I changed into dry clothes (soaked to the knees) and hung the wet ones to dry. I checked both Rosie and I for ticks since we'd been crawling around in the bushes. Then I mixed up some natural boot wax. I gave my ropers a real good coat. I figured I should quit putting it off. I hope this recipe works well. When my town shoes dry out, I'll do them too. If the sun comes out nice and hot I'll set my shoes out so the oil soaks in good. Presently its still overcast and threatening more rain. 


7:30 p.m.
Ron left me a voicemail saying he'd "... Got this phone call, I'll call you back when I finish mowing." His vocal tone was odd. The wait was agonizing! Who called? My first thought was it was the sheriff's department from this county and I was in trouble for "threatening" the tobacco guy. Then I worried about Ryan and his family, and maybe they had an accident. Then I worried about my Dad! It could even have been the property owner in Morrow county we'd given our contact info to her surveyor to pass on to her when she was ready to sell... So many possibilities. Ron didn't specify.

When Ron called back he told me it was Roger that called. We'd got a counter offer. The amount was one we were comfortable with but there was a lot of lawyer mumbo jumbo to figure out what the contingencies were. Roger sent a copy to Ron, but Ron wasn't going to look at it on his phone. I'd have to wait until tomorrow to find out what the real bottom line was. 


No comments:

Post a Comment