Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Keep Going Forward!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

7:32 a.m.
Slept hard, woke up with detox twice. Wasn't ready to get out of bed. But I needed to lower the awning. I was so groggy I put my coffee grounds in the percolator w/o the basket.🙄 Strained it through the tea ball.


July 17, 2017

8:56 a.m.
Yesterday was a routine day. Weeding, knitting, called my Dad (I do this at least every 2 days or when ever Debby texts me and asks me to for various reasons, even if I don't mention it). Rosie and I hiked about 3 miles. This old body is slowly getting back in shape. 

Another shooter was in the forest south of the road. 


Tuesday, July 18, 2017

12:12 p.m.
Nothing different to write about yesterday,  so I didn't. More hiking, more weeding, more knitting.

After dark the wolves were howling in the meadow not far from the RV. 

I either got an exposure, this morning, from residuals from a low flying plane, or I'm trying to fight a virus. Chilling, achey. Hiked out to the corral to warm up, encountered toxic cattle smell, guys aftershave and girl's soap smell. When I got down to the weak spot in the fence, it was torn up. Possibly Bob had a cow out and when the kids tried to put it back in, it came over here (through the fence and back out the same way). Not feeling very good at all now.


Wednesday, July 19, 2017

11:28 a.m.
Climbing out of the pit. It was an exposure not a virus, compounded by the second exposure. I texted with Bob, yes a cow was out and got in here, and was rounded up by his "cowboy and girl. I asked that they warn me if it happens again so I don't walk into the cloud of toxins. Upside for him, his cow's insecticide is still working. I got the new owner's (for the piece south of us') number from him. We need to get together to work on building a fence between us on the 80. I called the silviculture steward to ask if he had any idea who might be flying across me. He got cranky and I had simply asked him to help me run down who it might have been. He gave me the spiel about lots of ag here, I shouldn't be trying to live here... @@ I called around and discovered there is only one commercial ag sprayer that works this area. He was really nice and informed me he hadn't been contracted to spray anything up here in more than a year. So that kind of blows the timber company's argument out of the water. The ag pilot asked for my contact info and location so he could put it in his flight manifests for future jobs in this area. Since pesticide poisoning is now a known hazard of their job, most of the "younger guys" get it. I contacted the forest service to ask if they use planes for smoke chasing and the director told me no, but the helicopters could have been his. He'd check, and gave me a great lead. He advised me to try to get a "permanent restricted airspace" from the FAA. I've tried that years ago, but its worth trying again. I got a gentleman at the FAA that shared the difference with me between a restricted airspace and a NOTAM. That's a NOTICE TO ALL AIRMAN. It would simply be an inflight message telling them why they need to exercise caution and not fly over this area, or they need to exceed the minimum allowed ceiling. That would work!!! 99.9% would respect that. There's a chance I might be able to get that one! He's sending me the contact info! 😄 Its been a busy morning. 

We are officially closing on the 27th! Whew! Finally! Everybody has their ducks in a row! We sign, fork over the cash, on the 27th but it takes effect on the 28th.

It was close there for a few hours. Ron panicked when I got toxed and wanted to pull out of the sale. He calmed down after I broke over the worst of the symptoms late that night. He realized that this is still the safest place for me.


Thursday, July 20, 2017

5:55 a.m.
I got awoken at 4:00 a.m., or there abouts, by the timber company's equipment whining in the distance. Sounds like a mosquito. Boom! I'm awake. Not because I fear a mosquito borne virus. I find the pitch highly irritating.

On Tuesday while I was suffering the nasty, painful symptoms of that day's exposures Ron called me. Well, technically Joey called me from Poppa's phone. He wanted to tell me how he had fed the "itty-bitty baby lambs." With a little bit of prompting from Poppa he counted them and told me how many he'd bottle fed (3). Then this sweet little voice says, "I miss you Grandma!" I teared up, but told my little buddy I miss him too, and I love him. 

I can not express how much pain and heartache it gives me to be forcibly excluded from their lives like I've been. The Bible tells us that, "Where your heart lies, there your treasure lies also." My children and grandchildren are my treasures. I've been robbed. I try not to focus on these things because it destroys me, but its very real. Ron tries to arrange visits as much as he can, bless him. He wants to bring Joey up on Friday and they'll spend the night, with the rest of my (very pregnant) daughter's family joining us on Saturday. The very pregnant part is why she (and the rest of her family) are not spending the night. Tobes isn't quite old enough to camp out without mommy or daddy, and 2 little boys in a camp trailer is a little much for Poppa to handle. We're celebrating my birthday. My age, you ask? Just put down, "Old as dirt." Anyway, I'd love to have them overnight, but I don't think the gas, RV dump and water refill station right next to the highway is a very safe place for a 4yr old boy. Poppa hasn't mastered the art of doing 2 things at once, yet. So him watching Joey while trying to take care of filling, not a good idea (its giving me anxiety). Much too long for an active little boy to be contained.  I'm operating "in the black" on the fresh water tank. In other words, its so low it doesn't register. I do have a little laundry water left. I've been conserving it. Thats what I'm using for dishes. 

I'm on my second full cup of mocha. Yes, the water situation being what it is, I drank the dregs from yesterday's pot this morning. You know me so well now. We've come a long way together. 

Before Tuesday's toxing I was actually thinking about changing my "handle." You know, since I've reached a turning point. I've been singing the "We're Out of the Woods" song from "the Wizard of Oz" to myself off and on. I was thinking of maybe changing my screen name to "ToxedandFound." Or even "OffGridGrandma." My husband likes "GrandmaWithWolves." But if I go that route I'm more inclined to go with "DancesWithElk." Anyway, it seemed, or maybe I was just hoping, it was an end of the Toxed2loss story and a beginning of a brighter new story. Now I'm mentally humming "Somewhere a Place for Me," and I feel like I've found it. I doubt I'll ever be completely safe from exposures. But I'm so hopeful they will be a lot more rare. 

I want my story to be less about dealing with toxic exposures, and the bigotry and compassion involved when encountering people who've never dealt with someone like me before, and more about over coming the obstacles in living off grid in the wilderness. Is that too optimistic?

9:33 a.m.
I went outside for my call with Ron this morning. The flock of turkeys was traversing the meadow. A cow was mooing out near the road. After my call I walked down the drive to cautiously check on the cow. I didn't see her and her voice was coming from over by the west corner of their property. I weeded my way back. It was a very pleasant morning. When I got back I decided it was time to address a repair issue. The fantastic fan wasn't opening again. I figured the pin had come loose. I don't have a crimping tool. So I took it apart, again. Reinserted the pin, and applied a little "farmer's friend." Duct tape. We'll see if it holds. Only three dead flies fell in my face, or down my shirt. Progress.

2:16 p.m.
I got another email from my FAA guy. Its a no go. Bummer!!!!!!!!! 😭 He suggested I ask the airport manager. Another bummer. The manager knows/works with Ron and I can't ask for anything that has the appearance of special privileges. I also have to be careful I don't ask for anything that will make him uncomfortable in his work relationship with Ron if he has to turn me down. You guys know I have no tact! I'm going to have to talk with Ron about how to proceed with this. 


Friday, July 20, 2017

1:18 p.m.
Today is refill day. Ron and Joey are coming to spend the night! 

When I went out to take my call from Ron this morning I heard a plane coming. It was close by. Right on the other side of the mountain! I was instantly filled with dread and sick to my stomach. I was much too far away from the RV to make it back before it got here! It never did come on this side of the mountain. My stomach hurt so bad I couldn't eat for hours. I had talked to Ron about talking to the airport manager. Its the same guy handling the road vacating. He's the "Public Works Director." Ron says he'll talk to him after the public hearing on the road. Thats next month...

2:44 p.m.
Rosie's been having a terrific time sticking her head into every interesting nook and hollow. My only objection is I'm brushing seeds and burs out of her ears and face multiple times a day. So I gave her a "puppy cut." I cut off all her long ear hair. I trimmed her face, neck and chest down too. I'll finish the rest of her up when Ron hooks up the propane generator so I can use the clippers outside. 

I've finished the sweater, except for the buttons and blocking.


Ron and Joey are on their way!

No comments:

Post a Comment