Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Longing for Independence

Saturday, July 8, 2017

8:23 a.m.
I need to be more independent. Supporting me is wearing Ron out. Its been bothering me for some time. I need to locate safe locations for me to get/do: Fresh water, Septic dump. I've located accommodating: Gas, Groceries. 

Ron is fishing today. I wish it was for more days. 

8:28 p.m.
It was good to have food and water again. 😋

Rosie and I hiked up Cell Hill to upload the next chapter because it has 4 pics. Since I changed to a spot deeper in the trees, I don't get enough signal to get on the internet most of the time. Rosie went swimming in the meadow pond on our way over. Other than that it was a laundry day, and general fussing about. It was easier to keep it cooler in here, now that we have morning shade, too. 

Sunday, July 9, 2017

8:03 p.m.
A cooler day. I worked on temporarily shoring up that down fence by the corral and weeded along the road. 

I called my Dad. It was short. He was in good spirits but couldn't track conversations very well.

I  set the snaps on the inseam opening of the romper and started the cardigan that goes with it. It was a nice, relaxing day. 


Monday, July 10, 2017

8:43 a.m.
Last night, just after I ran the generator for the last time, as the light was fading, the Fantastic Fan cover broke. The knob wouldn't open the vent cover. I looked at it from the inside. I tried tightening the screw in the knob (that works on the back one). Didn't help. Nothing that I could see from inside. The mechanism was inside the housing. I thought maybe it was easily accesed from the top. The wind was blowing, and it was switchy, so I figured I couldn't climb the ladder without getting gas fumed. I decided to wait until morning...

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. And lay in bed screwing up my gumption to climb up on the roof before coffee, and before the wind came up. Before coffee because I'd have to run the generator, and that would increase gas fumes... I got dressed, loaded up with tools and went out to do the chore. I got passed the gas fumes, no problem. I only had to come down for additional tools once. I unbolted the aerodynamic shroud and lifted the vent cover. The lift arm came clear out of the housing. It had a geared end. I inspected the exterior housing. It was riveted. Dang. I knew then I'd have to dissemble the unit from the inside. I replaced everything, and climbed down. Before I continued with the repair, I needed coffee and Rosie needed breakfast. It wouldn't matter if I ran the generator now.

I took it apart from the inside. Dead bugs and filth rained down on me.  I was trying to avoid that... A "pin," that held the geared end of the lift arm against the corresponding gears on the knob drive shaft, had vibrated out. Nothing was actually broken. Problem solved. Parts put back together. Mess cleaned up. 

Proceeding with regularly scheduled program...

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

7:09 a.m.
Good morning. The sun is shining, the birds are squawking . Its a beautiful day here at "Grandma Mountain." 
 
There are tweeting and warbling birds as well, but there seems to be a major hoo-hah of the upland game bird variety going on this morning in the Eastern Pine Woods.

Yesterday was wonderfully overcast all day, and therefore cooler. I weeded off and on all day: Hawkweed and Sulfur Cinquefoil. Rosie and I made forays into parts previously unexplored sections hunting the elusive "Meadow Hawkweed" and the not so elusive "Common Hawkweed." The Cinquefoil are more prominent. They kind of shout, "Here I am!" And its a resounding chorus.

At close of day yesterday 2 deer came out and grazed the house site. Rosie was laying in the open doorway and spotted them first. She jumped up and was staring so absorbedly I peered out through the branches of our shade pine to see what had her attention. I had expected it to be a sassy squirrel. But they were right out there, about 60' away. Unfortunately it was getting cold and I had to eventually reach out and shut the door. They didn't spook! The next thing on my evening agenda was dishes. I needed to heat the water. I started the generator. I looked out the window. They were still browsing! I turned on the water heater, the generator revved up. Deer still calmly eating. Set the timer. It was the beeping of the microwave buttons that sent them running.😐

Anyway, moving on to other things... I washed my granddaughter's romper and laid it out to dry. I made it using a Dale of Norway pattern, #19108. I modified it. Remember? I made it so the inseam opens for easier diaper changes. I would have used white snaps but when I checked with my daughter and son-in-law they voted for really obvious one's that sleep deprived parents could easily locate through bleary eyes in the semi-dark of a nap prepared room. I'm still waiting for the buttons. Here's the pic.

 
12:18 p.m.
I finally walked the road to the eastern end of the 80. I was weeding. Boy does my body hurt. Resting now.


Thursday, July 13, 2017

8:04 p.m.
I was having a lovely day yesterday, though the woods were unusually quiet. It could be because the wolves are back. I heard them Tuesday night. Rosie and I walked down to the end of Violet Way (weeding). Later, I was doing laundry, my second set of sheets that had been in the bag since they (via my body) got toxed out in the spring. This was the first time I've had the spare wash water to tackle them, since I've got all the other laundry finally caught up. It was around 10:30 a.m. when a helicopter came over the top of the mountain suddenly. Then went over us low and slow. As soon as I realized what was happening I headed for the RV. I didn't make it before they arrived. I got hit. It didn't turn out as bad, since I'm getting a chance to recover, but it still felt pretty miserable. 

It took me all day to sort out my thinking and decide it could have been ODFW tracking wolves. I couldn't think of anyone else who'd have a reason to go over that low and slowly. I called them today and asked if the receptionist could check with the wolf biologists and see if they did a fly over yesterday. They were out. I let her know that I'd like to know if it wasn't them, so I could figure out who I need to call and ask for accommodation from. If it was them then to please let me know ahead of time if they have to fly over. The call went well.

Roger came out with another extension. Ron has gotten written notice of the counties support for vacating the road. Now we just need to get the title office to set the date for closing!


Saturday, July 15, 2017

6:25 a.m.
I think there were 2, non-consecutive hours without thunder storms last night. We did get a little rain. I had all the blinds open and the awnings rolled up so I could watch for nearby strikes. Most of the storms were 12+ miles away. We had a few within 2-3 miles. A lot of the lightening was sky lightening, from what I could tell here in the trees. 

The rest of yesterday was weeding and knitting. I did get a text from a very anxious longhorn rancher, wanting to know if we've closed yet. Nothing monumental, unless you count wildflower identification...

7:52 p.m.
Rosie and I went out to the east boundary in the morning and checked to see where we smelled smoke from. It was coming down the canyon from a fire to the NE of us more than 12 miles away. Later the wind shifted and blew 10-12 mph from the NNW. I put up the awning again.

We kept it low key the rest of the day. We did have the person shooting into this property from the road again this evening at about 6:00 p.m.. 

So tired! I can barely keep my eyes open...


No comments:

Post a Comment