Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Planning, Locating and Other Positive Steps

Saturday,  June 10, 2017
7:15 p.m.

I started out the day hiking up Cell Hill to call my Dad before the rain set in. I found the same spot next to a 5' stump that gets 5 bars. I didn't take my ipad but I'll try to remember to tomorrow. The view is spectacular. When I first called Debby she was just leaving to go visit him. When she arrived she found that my Dad wasn't up yet. He's finally sleeping in his bed! The staff greeted Debby with comments about how social he was. She's quite pleased with his progress. When the rain started I hiked back down. I got a bunch of texts from Debby all the way down the hill. My Dad was still sleeping. When I got back to the RV I took my shower since Debby relayed that Ron was on his way.

When Ron got here it was raining steadily. He had some breakfast and then hauled out the sledge hammer and fixed my step. Then we both put on our hiking boots and toured the possible building sites. 
Ron voiced his concerns. The spot I like for my house has lots of rocks. He feels it may indicate shallow top soil and then bedrock, with no possibility of putting in the daylight basement I want. He thought it might cause problems for the septic field, too. He had concerns about where I would go when they drill the well. They use a big stinky rig. I'd already thought of that and showed him the spot down at the end of Violet Way where I planned to relocate my RV whenever stinky equipment needs to be used. We discussed the locations of propane tanks and the generator, as well as solar panel arrays. 

We also discussed were to park the trailer for Alex, Justin and the boys for next weekend. πŸ˜€ 

While we were out hiking Rosie spotted something in the woods. We kept walking. Suddenly I realized she was no longer with us. She'd taken off.  I whistled and called. Nothing. I walked back and whistled and called again. Finally, sproinging and racing she came bounding back through the brush. She was excited, grinning and soaked. I have no idea what she was investigating. It was near the spot where we heard the grouse. It could also have been deer, elk or any number of other critters. I could see Ron was on the verge of chasing off with her to see what it was. I mentioned grouse and his interest doubled. But it was already late and we still had chores.

We did supplies after that and headed down the mountain to fill the tanks. I had two problems. I hit a rut at an angle pulling out of the meadow, causing my RV to buck and rock. My refrigerator door burst open, despite my having taped it shut, throwing a quart jar of half-n-half out. It struck something, broke its plastic lid and exploded 1/2 n 1/2 all over the galley. It was like a cream bomb went off. There was cream running down the microwave, the walls, across the floor, spattered on the ceiling and out of the now closed refrigerator. The door, having launched its dairy grenade had swung shut again. I was surprised Rosie didn't panic. She's getting used to things flying out of the cupboards when I drive, I guess. I had to stop and mop it all up. I used all the throw rugs and half a roll of paper towels. I threw them all down the steps to deal with when I returned. The second was the mud hole. We've had so much rain that it was a deep squishy mess. My poor RV fishtailed, slipped and churned her way through it. At one point I wasn't sure we were going to make it up the slope! We were actually sliding backwards!

When I got back here I took the rugs and spread them out over branches and stumps so the rain could clean them for me. There were some great storms lining up. Wouldn't you know it, in an hour and a half the sky had cleared and its sunny! Lol 


Sunday, June 11, 2017

6:57 a.m.
Good morning! The sky is a glorious clear blue. The sun is just climbing up to peek over the tree tops that blanket Huckleberry Hill and stretch its warm rays into our windows. I slept through the night and woke up at 5:30 a.m.. The down side was that without running the heat in the middle of the night, it was 43°F in here. Its taken this long to warm it up enough to write. Its still only 54°F. When I first put up the blinds the sun was stretching its fingers over the long meadows to the west that lay between Huckleberry Hill and Cell Hill. The mist was rising off the grass and hung in a thin sheet of fog that floated 6' off the ground. The grass beneath glowed golden green with the promise of a warm sunny day. 

Rosie is curled up on the sofa, under her blanket in front of the heater and sees nothing whats-so-ever to wax poetic about. 


12:04
I got internet access back! I finally got the sim card from my cell carrier to get service on my ipad. I went up to the top of Cell Hill again this morning and sucked in all the hundreds of missed emails. I unsubscribed from a bunch of stuff. I only get a limited amount of data. I want to prevent all unnecessary bleeding off of my data bytes.

I also talked with my Dad. He was in excellent spirits. He cracked jokes and was quite chatty. It was so much better than he had been! He was still having trouble with vocabulary and following the conversation, but he was no longer depressed. He's definitely benefiting from the social setting. I'm so pleased!

Afterwards I made that call to Bob, the cattle rancher, that I wanted to finish. I mostly just wanted to thank him. Turns out we're both shirttail relatives by marriage (his late wife, my husband)! We talked cattle, and sheep. He told me his riders had seen a lot of bear sign. I told him my plans for livestock guardian dogs. I asked about wether he'd known a gentleman from around where he lives that I used to know (he's passed now). Bob had known him. We talked a little bit about him. He was a relative of my husband's that I really enjoyed visiting with back when I could attend the reunions. He was a very interesting character. Then Rosie and I hiked back to our RV home.


2:09 p.m
I spent hours both before and since the last post deleting emails! Then I got an enjoyable call from a friend. She's planning a visit after closing. And a call from Ron. He wanted to let me know he'd ordered a propane generator for this weekend. πŸ™‚ That does relieve my mind. I was worrying about exhaust fumes.

4:17 p.m.
I started a bucket of laundry: The throw rugs. I set out shoes to dry and hung up wet socks. My feet have been wet for the last three days. I rubbed the skin off a couple of places hiking up the hill this morning with wet shoes and socks. So I sat outside with bare feet for awhile to dry them out. But, I got bored. I decided to tidy up the area around the little fire circle someone had made. That didn't take long. Still bored, I thought, "How about a short stroll out Violet Way? I don't have to go all the way to the end." So I put on my last dry pair of shoes and we meandered over there. While I was walking I noticed all the sharp sticks and limbs that could puncture a tire, or damage the body of the RV when I would have to drive back there to get away from stinky equipment. I started picking them up and putting them to the side of the track. After closing, when Ron brings me some tools, like a wheel barrow, I'll collect them. Eventually we got to the end so we turned around and started back. I happened to notice a suspicious, dark pile of stuff on the opposite side of the meadow, in under some trees. It could be more rusty junk that would need cleaning up. I decided to make my way over there and check it out. It was just huge butts of large old logs. I then noticed some unnatural earth formations and hiked up the hill to investigate. They were just the remains of old burn piles, well aged. So we meandered back to the meadow and headed south along the mostly dried up stream that runs from pond to pond. I was surprised it was so dry with all the rain we've had. Eventually we crossed back over and walked up through the trees onto Violet Way. Storm clouds were gathering and I started worrying about my shoes and socks. I hurried. In a few minutes we arrived back at camp, I collected my stuff and we parked ourselves on the sofa for a well earned rest. Rosie thinks its dinner time already, but doesn't she always?


Monday, June 12, 2017

6:30 a.m. 
Raining. With gusty winds. I woke up early and started the generator and heat. It was above 60°F in here when we got up. I won't be hiking up Cell Hill in this.

7:55 a.m. 
As I hung up from my call with Ron I looked out the window to see a deer run through camp and up Huckleberry Hill. It was coming from the front of the property and appeared as though it had been alarmed by something. Not sure what that would have been, a cow? A vehicle on the road? A large branch from a tree blown down? I have yet to see any predators or their scat. Not that it couldn't have been one.

12:35 p.m.
I was just finishing up lunch when Rosie gave her "intruder!" Bark. I looked out the window, "Wow!" At first I wondered if there were moose around here because she was so leggy and HUGE! It was a cow elk. Its hard to tell from the picture but she's actually taller than most horses. I'd estimate her at 17 or 18 hands. She appears to have been disturbed while calving as there were legs sticking out... She looked as though she was going to bed down right under the trees across from us until Rosie barked. Then she staggered back up and crept away. The shepherdess in me wanted to go after her and "assist," but the reality of that - wouldn't happen.



Anyway, still working laundry, and knitting. Its continuing windy, but not much rain, and in the mid 60s, so comfortable. 

9:07 p.m.
Shots fired. Sounds like by the corrals, on the 80, or on the property to the east. Hard to say. We'll check it out in the morning. If I went over to check it out now, I'd be coming back through the woods with no clear trail in full dark. I started the generator in hopes they'd think it was a 4 wheeler and scram.

Earlier this evening I saw another cow elk. Actually, I heard her first. It sounded like a puppy yipping. I looked out and she was crossing the meadow, headed for the Pine Woods. She had her head up and was calling to her friends.


Tuesday, June 13, 2017

6:02 a.m. 
Woke up at 3:00 a.m. detoxing my lungs. I never could get back to sleep. I gave up and made coffee at 5:00 a.m. 

Even though it remained windy thru the night, my laundry was still on the line. πŸ˜€ That was a nice surprise. I expected it to either be in the dirt (because the line snapped) or wrapped around a tree behind me (down wind). The throw rugs still aren't dry, but I brought in Rosie's seat cover. The sky is overcast so I'm not sure if we'll get those rugs completely dry before the rain begins. 

10:46 a.m.
I should not go hiking before breakfast. I did. I'm regretting it. I started out to just check out the gate for signs of shooting. I didn't find any. I ended up hiking in and out of all the draws along the front and fighting through all the brush. We came out down by the corrals then swung back around through the sheep meadows to the RV. I limped the whole time. That spot that I'd rubbed the flesh off a few days ago is still an open sore. I'd bandaged it and placed folded paper towels between it and the spot that was rubbing. It wasn't too bad, but I did limp. I brought in the throw rugs and hung out the next one. I still felt pretty good. This is where I made my mistake. I decided to hike up Cell Hill. I should have stopped to eat. Once I got up there, with low blood sugar, lots of wind whipping my breath away (asthma) and distractions, my accounts not liking me accessing from a new location and requiring all security protocols, the heavy equipment operating two valleys away, etc. (the noise was whiney like an over sized mosquito), my frustration level was ultra high. When they wanted me to re-enter my credit card #, which was back at the RV, I admitted defeat. Ugh. I tottered back down the hill. Dang. So now I'm resting so I can make breakfast. 


Wednesday, June 14, 2017

6:50 a.m.
I rested most of yesterday. I wrote responses to emails and worked on knitting. Not much to tell. 

12:27 p.m.
I hiked up Cell Hill again to finish ordering a present for my grandson. Yep, I ate first. The wind had dropped to a gentle breeze, too. That helped. I realized some of my problem yesterday was that some of the Insecticided cows were up wind of me. Bob had put them on the property next door. On a normal, not windy day, they were far enough away, it wouldn't have mattered. With the high winds yesterday, I got an exposure. I figured it out when I realized my eyes and throat were "burnt" after I got back. There was some irritation today. Rosie had kept telling me there was something back in the trees. Probably the toxic cows.

One of the things I'm trying to research on the net is cell boosters, so I (and guests) don't have to hike to the top of the hill every time we need to use it. That will keep my exposures down since that cell stump is right on the fence line. My neighbor needs to be able to conduct whatever business he wants without checking with me. Thats the reason for buying this big of a property. 

8:13 p.m.
I fell down coming down a hill. I broke my fall with my right hand, left elbow and knee. Since I averted the face plant onto sharp rocks, I'm good. It was a stick that tripped me up. One end caught on my shoe, the other buried itself in the ground and I went over it. Bruised but other wise o.k. It was a nice 70°F afternoon and I was checking out a closer hill, which I have named "Bear Top," to see if I could get good cell reception there. I did not see any bears or even sign. It has a flat top and it just seemed like a place one would see a bear. I did hear something big in the brush, but it was most likely an elk or deer jumping up and running away.  Lets just say that was it... I heard more shooting, as I was picking myself up, so we walked over to the corrals. We didn't see anybody.  I arnica balmed the bruised places when we got back. I did find myself walking into a spot where an animal had bedded down and had face and eye burning as a result. Must have been a cow.

I was having trouble with my hair so I brushed it out. It took me a couple of hours. I'd had another major hair loss episode. πŸ˜’

Afterwards I aired out the RV, cleaned floors, swept and shook out rugs and seat covers. I'm doing laundry. When I went out to check it just now there is a "furry animal smell." I can't really tell what kind of animal. Though it does smell a little like cat, or bunny. Does that make sense to you? Or am I the only one that sniffs critters? 


Thursday, June 15, 2017

1:45 p.m
Same routine. Nothin' new to share. The highlight of the day so far is that I got my laundry off the line before the rain. Just knitting.


Friday, June 16, 2017

6:41 a.m. 

I broke my 2.5mm knitting needle twice yesterday. So knitting is on hold. First it snapped off leaving me 1.5" piece. I sharpened and sanded it. Kept knitting with the stub. I also emailed the company for a replacement. They were really great about it when I broke a 2.0mm before. (Haven't heard a word from them this time, 3 weeks later...)

But then the tine, that goes into the tube broke off. I whittled the longer snapped off piece's end down to make a new tine and shoved it into the tube but it wont stay. Waiting for Ron to bring UV glue.

I think today is going to be shower day. Tomorrow I'll have company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment