Sunday, August 6, 2017

I Kinda Wanted to Call This One, Its Mine!"

The Start of My New Life

Saturday, July 29, 2017

5:45 p.m.
I just came in from some afternoon chores. I was cutting dead limbs off trees with a recip saw to reduce fire danger. Yep, I have a long way to go. Not a problem. Before that I trimmed up my walking stick and filed off the knobs. I ripped the synthetic lining and soles out of a new pair of shoes. I replaced the nasty foam insole with a leather one. Rosie and I took a walk out to the front gate to see of the listing agent collected his lock yet. 

I currently have 35 pair, and at least one bull as pasture renters, though we haven't received the first payment yet. But if it all goes according to plan, I'm making money! Jim is still rounding up cattle to move here. When he finishes collecting the strays, I've invited him to ride through. He keeps asking how many pair I can take. I've answered him twice. I told him 60. He didn't believe me. I guess the only way he'll be satisfied is to judge for himself. 

It was a hot, sweaty day yesterday. I was sitting outside to enjoy the breeze and a bumble bee came and started licking the salt off of me! It tickled and her tongue felt cold. Today she came back. She wanted to lick it off of me again. This time, since I was wearing long sleeves and pants, she wanted to lick it off my face. I objected. She got pissy and stung me. Sheesh! Give a bee an inch... 


Tuesday, August 1, 2017

6:20 p.m.
I collected the first months rent today. There was a bit of a hoo-haw when my husband messed up my deal, by telling my renter he didn't have to do all the things I specifically told him he needed to do. We had a 2 hr business meeting down at the corral this afternoon at 4:00 p.m.. He brought back-up. I think he thought it was going to be "uncomfortable." He was doing squirrelly things about paying. He was supposed to come pay when he brought the last load. He didn't. Nor had he signed the contract. So the next day I'd texted him reminding him of those deficiencies and telling him if I didn't receive payment by close of business on the first he'd have to remove his cattle. He promised to overnight a check. It didn't come. Ron had argued that you can't overnight a check on the weekend, so thats why I gave him until close of business on the first. He started getting nervous and decided he wanted to give me a check "incase the overnighted one didn't arrive in time." We got it sorted. I actually had fun with it and I think they did too. I started with a smile, a warm welcome and some honest compliments. I didn't accuse, I asked. My tact and diplomacy practicing is helping. There is hope for me in that area. I was dreading it, though, and it turned out way better than I anticipated. 

Not much else going on other than dead-limbing trees and moving the cattle out of my stuff. I did join an LGD learning group on FB. I got an invite from an amazing woman in Canada. There's a lot for me to learn!


Wednesday, August 2, 2017

2:35 p.m.
It started out a normal day and took a bit of a turn. Rosie broke her training and chased a cow. We had a little "training refresher course." Then we headed down to the corral with a wagon load of tools. It was harder to pull up the hill than I thought. Especially with Rosie back on lead and sulking. We got the gate temporarily mended. I need deep sockets to rehang it. Then I loaded the tools and headed back. I know I securely closed the socket wrench kit but when I got back to the RV it was open and sockets were loose in the wagon. It has mesh sides and bottom, though there is a mat. By the time I got that picked up, sorted and put way it was 90°F and I was operating on low blood sugar. Both Rosie and I were over heated. I ate before we back-tracked looking for any lost sockets. Its one of those sets where they make one box for 3 different sized sets and I can't remember how many empty spaces I'm supposed to have. That was the first mile we hiked this morning. Rosie and I tanked up on water and rested a minute before making the next hike. I checked the lock on the front gate. Then we checked the back gate. Another mile. We were resting again in the shade of the picnic area when I heard the hum of an ATV turn around at the front gate, drive back and stop in that area above the draw. I figured it was the shooter. I so did not want to chase this person down but heck. So I grabbed my camera and we hiked back to the corral (Rosie still on leash). I waited around for awhile but no shots. We started hiking back along the fence. I didn't see anyone or smell anyone. I got to the first huckleberry patch and it dawned on me it was probably a berry picker. The bushes were stripped clean. Before I got to the place I expected to find the trespasser my blood sugar started to crash big time. I had to divert to the RV for meds. As I was taking my meds I looked out the window to see the cows hustling up to the berry patch. They must have figured that there was something really good up there with all the activity. I hope the onslaught of 30 odd, long horned cattle ran the thief off. I rested looking at video survelliance signs and equipment.

Since I cleaned the dead limbs off my laundry trees yesterday, I rehung my line as high as I could (to avoid horns), rinsed and hung out my laundry. Its been sitting in the bucket since the cows came. Then I brushed out Rosie. She had quite the collection of seeds, burs and beggars lice from all our walks. We're back in under the a/c and Rosie is leash free and contrite.


Thursday, August 3, 2017

2:40 p.m.

This morning I figured out why Rosie thinks she can chase cattle. Every morning they come at 5:30 a.m. and eat the grass under the edge of the RV. Their horns bang against the side. I jump out of bed, and throw open a window and yell at them. Rosie thought I wanted them run off. We did more leash work today around cattle. I'm cutting up the pile of limbs. When we got the wagon level I quit. I need to figure a place to stack it that it won't get soggy, and cows won't get into it. Rosie and I hiked around looking for a good spot. I also did more reconnoitering on how to get quickly to the front. 

Ron didn't get in until late last night. The "overnight check" still hasn't arrived. I called the bank this check was issued from this morning. There are sufficient funds. 

Then I went out to do more laundry and clip Rosie down. There are even more sticky seeds at this time, so I trimmed her really short. I had to stop before I did the feet. Blister forming on scissor hand. She's happier. Even though I recently clipped her, we're both so much healthier that our hair/fur is coming in with less grey and growing fast! 


There are 12 large fires burning in Oregon and Washington. There is an air quality alert until tomorrow morning. Our visibility is 8 miles. Its smokey, but not near as bad as it was at Anson-Wright last year. Ron told me that at home last night the smoke was as thick as a fog bank. Glad I'm not there. 

Friday, August 4, 2017

Roger and his wife, Tina, came out to visit. They gave me a lovely card and amazingly a gift card! I was stunned! That was so very kind!! I'm so used to dealing with the hard hearted people around my farm, kindness still floors me! While the compassion was tremendous, the company was fabulous! I think I may have blathered on too much, though. Backlog of words. I'm going to have to work on that. I don't want to be rude. Way out of practice on the social graces!


Saturday, August 5, 2017

I started the day trimming dead limbs that were close to the back of my RV. The wind was right for awhile so that I didn't get gassed. 


I got a call from my step-mother. My father was in ICU. He'd fallen and cut the back of his head open, and banged up an elbow. It was pretty bad. Debby was up all night with him at the hospital. She was pretty traumatized. It upset me pretty badly too. My father can't remember what happened. He's very confused and upset about being in the hospital. They've done 2 CAT scans so far. There is a little bleeding on the brain. It did not increase between the scans. He'll be transferred to a regular room today if all goes well. 

Still no "Overnight check."

Worked on the knitted Yoshi most of the day. Too much smoke to be outside. I did hear a huge explosion around 6:00 p.m.. Rosie and I went up to the gate to check things out. I could smell GSR from the west, blowing down the road. 

Ron is coming Tomorrow. He may get to bring Joey.

No comments:

Post a Comment