Sunday, August 13, 2017

Smokey Mountain Grandma

Sunday, August 6, 2017

3:09 p.m.
The air quality alert is extended through tomorrow morning.


Its a little less smokey than yesterday. The local wildfire dispatch report says that the two closest fires are contained. 

 Rosie and I are waiting for Poppa and Joey to arrive for a stay over. 😃

Monday, August 7, 2017

5:35 a.m.
Remember what it felt like, when you were a kid, on Christmas morning? You were so excited you woke up at the crack of dawn and could barely contain yourself until everyone else woke up? Thats how I feel this morning. Rosie and I are sitting on the sofa across from the made-into-a-bed dinette where Joey is still sleeping away, buried in a pile of blankets and sleeping bag. He'll probably be sleeping for awhile. We stayed up late. He couldn't sleep, it was so exciting and new. And dark! I told him stories and sang. It was quite precious, after I finished a song he'd say, " Oh, that was a good one!" Or "I liked that one Grandma!" Then he'd make requests, "Sing one about blue and green and pink?"

8:06 p.m.
What a day! That little boy is perpetually in motion! He bounced around the inside of the RV like a superball. Then he would spot a squirrel outside and we'd have to rush out for squirrel patrol. Ron was working hard outside, but I think I had the tougher job, keeping up with a 4 year old dynamo. Ron did put up hot wire with a new solar charger. The charger didn't work. 😟 He'll bring a good one when he returns. In the meantime I'm hoping the cows don't test it. Joey and I helped with the fence. We carried the posts and handed them to Poppa. Well, until Joey got hot. Then we went back to the RV for 5 minutes. That was about as long as it would be before another squirrel sighting. Finally at about 11:30 a.m. I sent a glassy eyed boy up to the cabover and told him to take a nap. I fired up the a/c and as soon as it got cold in here he was out. He took a nice long nap. Grandma rested! It was a terrific 2 days. 


Tuesday, August 8, 2017

There were eruptions of coyotes in the night. They were nearby. It was reminiscent of a platoon of squeaky wheeled shopping carts in a parking garage full of cars with their motion sensitive alarms going off. Not much sleep. Most likely, there were only about 3-4 coyotes. They make a lot of noise.

I was able to limb those trees closest to the generator. Yay! I'm waiting for shade in the wood cutting spot to work on cutting my pile up. 


Wednesday, August 9, 2017

6:36 p.m.
Its still really smokey up here.

We started the morning sleeping in. The cows didn't come by until 6:00 a.m.. They made up for it later when several fall calves busted through the dead hot wire. They launched clips everywhere. I couldn't even find four of them. Some windy day they'll fall out of the trees. I collected everything I could and rolled up the wire. I knew it would happen at some point. I'd just hoped they wouldn't figure it out for a couple more days. 

After cleaning up that mess Rosie and I went down to the corral area and cut thistles. I stacked sun bleached wood. There's so many limbs down, down there, it makes walking hard and pulling the wagon over it harder. We got quite a bit cleaned up. Then we came back for breakfast. 

I've tried breaking up my kindling a couple of times today but the smoke is just too heavy. Did some sketching.

Very smokey sunset. The sun was a red orange ball. It doesn't show up in the photo.


Thursday, August 10, 2017

10:44 a.m.
The coyotes woke me up around 3:00 a.m.. I slept in until 7:00 a.m.. I tried to eat breakfast before I went out, but it was too much. It made me sick. Lost most of the morning to nausea. Its still so smokey I put on my VOC mask and hiked to the front gate and corrals, just for a check. I'm waiting for cooler weather to cut a perimeter trail. 

Ron deposited my pasture renter's check yesterday. Waiting for it to clear before I sign the contract and fax it back. Been assessing the cattle he moved in without me checking them. So far, they seem o.k.. They don't all stay together so its hard to know if I've checked them all. I've done some work near a few smaller groups, no problems yet. 


Friday, August, 11, 2017

The check cleared. So did the smoke. I was able to check the cattle. They seem o.k. I still smell that chemical that smells like permanent marker, but I think its the Bangs vac. It doesn't make my lips and arms burn. Thunderstorms predicted for the next two days.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Coyotes, again. Thunderstorms passed over us with rumbling. No ground strikes, thank God! A light rain. Not enough to wet the ground. The winds cleared out the rest of the smoke. 12 new fires in our area. Guess the smoke will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment